Tuesday, November 8, 2011

One Down.....

And thus today begins the chemo countdown...

I just got home from my first of 8 rounds of chemo.  Despite all of my stressing over it, it was very low key (which I knew....but it was hard not to be anxious anyway).  The chemo portion consisted of about two hours of sitting in the chemo chair getting medicines in my port, but the majority of the meds were actually anti-nausea medications and steroids to counteract the potential side effects.  I entertained myself very nicely thanks to my new iPhone and iPad (I've never been so hi-tech in my life!) and even ate my lunch during it.  The chemo nurses are extremely nice, and I also got to meet with my oncologist to ask him all of my crazy questions. I go back tomorrow afternoon for a neulasta shot (a shot that increases my white blood cells to help fight infections) but that's it for the next 2 weeks as as far as I know.  Not much to report yet except that so far I'm feeling pretty much fine.  The big question is how I will tolerate the chemo.  I'm told I'll probably start to feel the side effects tomorrow afternoon and that Thursday and Friday will be the hardest days - but I'm going to try to keep life as normal as possible while I can. I will try to post some more updates as the week goes on.

Off to get in some exercising now while I still feel good, which leads nicely into today's funny.  When I was on the treadmill the other day, I was belting out my theme song (Fighter by Christina).  Owen came running in and asked why I was singing about a spider.  So my theme song is now called the "spider song" around my house!

Thanks so much again to all of you for sending me all of your positive thoughts.  It means so much to me. And I'm told my prognosis is about 90% mental....so the more positiveness I'm surrounded with, the better.  I'm blown away by how great everyone has been through this - I even have meals scheduled for chemo weeks through the end of the year! I'm very blessed to have such wonderful friends and family.  Today is the start of a new phase of this journey....the part where I start to kick cancer's %$&!!!!! 

13 comments:

Marilyn said...

Amy, with your incredible attitude and the best support system anyone could ask for...you'll knock this out of the park. Stay strong and know that Mike and I are sending good thoughts your way.

Jake Rundall said...

So glad the first treatment wasn't so bad; I hope that the rest of the week isn't too rough. Good for you for exercising and taking care of yourself through this all. You're always in our thoughts!

Dad and Amalia said...

As we said from the start-a positive attitude is most important! Keep up the great attitude and you will continue to win mentally and physically!
Can we call you spiderwoman?
Love you!

acuervo said...

I'm glad to hear things went smoothly! Keep up the good energy!

Hugs,

A

Liz Martin said...

Jim and I are pulling for you. The way you, Ed and the boys are handling all this is an inspiration for us all.

Your blog is wonderful. It certainly helps those of us who are far away to understand what you are going through on a daily basis. It's also a model for your friends and family for how to keep family life as normal as possible when things are most difficult.

Hugs, kisses and positive thoughts.

Juli Russell said...

YOU ARE AMAZING! Keep kicking a&$!! :)

Pat Grimes Smith said...

Pleased to hear the treatment went so well-keep up your positive attitude-you are truly amazing.
Love-Pat

Sarah said...

YES! The countdown has begun! I pulled in the driveway tonight after work, looked over to your house and said, "alright - she's got one done!" Thought about you a lot today! You are kickin' *&s and we all love that!

Erica Martin said...

Amy, I hope it feels great to know that you have finished the first step in your long journey. We are supporting you on the way. PS: Cookies should arrive in the mail on Friday!! Be sure to share with the kids.

Norine said...

Amy, keep up the positive energy and spirit! You are such an inspiration to all of us! Dad and I send our love to all of you!

Love, Mom

Brittany said...

Hi Amy! It's Juli's friend, Brittany, I just wanted to send you and your family some positive mojo while you are going through this. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME NEWS!! See you tomorrow!

Estela said...

Hope you're feeling good today - and Happy Birthday!!! Hugs!!!