Just a short blog post as I end another week on this journey...
The past week was my first "off chemo" week and all in all, it was about as normal as any other week of my life. As with everything on this crazy ride that I'm on, having a week where I felt like such a normal person seemed like a mixed blessing. On the one hand, I feel very lucky that so far I'm handling the chemo so well - my side effects last week were manageable and this week were almost non-existent. On the other hand, having so few symptoms makes the crazy part of my brain spend that time stressing over whether the chemo is working, whether the tumor is growing, and why I have so few side effects (I did say crazy, right?). But I've been reassured multiple times that side effects are not linked to effectiveness and that the chemo should be doing it's thing, so I'm trying to keep the crazy in line and enjoy how good I'm feeling while I can. I'm also trying to get a grasp on how to keep myself germ-free and healthy during chemo - I'm never been a germophobe so it's been a challenge to try to understand which measures are appropriate and which are overkill...but I'm doing my best on that one.
I was able to work a full week in my job, which was great because it gave me a chance to really get acclimated and feel like I'm starting to get a grasp on my new role. It also keeps me so busy and absorbed during the day that I can truly say I'm able to forget about my cancer for decent spans of time....which is a good thing. Everyone in my new office has been great to work with, and I feel pretty lucky to now work so close to my house that I can come home at lunchtime when I need a break (if anyone from Oshkosh is reading this, though....please know that I really do miss you guys and think of you often!!). We had a very nice birthday celebration for Owen on Wednesday and I got the chance pamper myself with the massage and facial that Ed gave me for my birthday the following night which was just fabulous.
Ed and I will be busy keeping the boys occupied this weekend but are also taking the chance to get out on a date night tomorrow since things have been going so smoothly. Grandma Martin is coming to town on Sunday to help get us through my next 2 rounds of chemo, which we are all so thankful for. We are still completely overwhelmed by the kindness of our friends, family, and colleagues throughout this entire process. Among so many other things, we were amazed to learn that a group of Ed's students are planning a "benefit" concert in my honor next month, which is just unbelievable to us. So if good thoughts and well wishes can do anything to expedite and ensure my full recovery, I should be in great shape thanks to all of you....
I've posted a few fun kid pictures below from this past week. Next week will be another big week - I'll meet with my oncologist again before I conquer round 2 of chemo. I'll be sure to post more updates as I have them. Happy weekend, everyone!
 |
| Owen reading to his kindergarten class |
 |
| Owen's birthday celebration at school |
 |
| Happy 6th Birthday, Owen! |
 |
| A rare picture with my firstborn |
 |
| Never to be outdone by his brother....Colin is always full of mischief, particularly at bedtime! |
 |
| Mr. Personality hamming it up in dad's old marching band vest |
4 comments:
So glad you are experiencing some normalcy. I think that will help you a ton! I'm praying the side effects continue to be minimal. You have enough going on being a mom and having a new job! Happy Birthday to Owen!
You are amazing, man!!! I hope you have fun on your date night tonight! Can't wait to see you in 5 days :)
Amy,
Great to hear that you are feeling well. Remember-everyone has a different experience AND you are using relaxing techniques and other resources Amalia provided.
Please do not stress when things are better than expected. Just keep doing what you are doing!
You are Amazing Amy!
So glad you had a "normal" week. See you tomorrow! So grateful to my wonderful school, Flint Hill, for giving me their blessing to come and help all of you!
Post a Comment