Saturday, December 17, 2011

To hair, or not to hair....

(I know....cheesy title!)

The other night, Ed and I were brushing our teeth together and I was struck by the sheer ridiculousness of our situation.  Here we are, two 35-year-olds. Ed, who should be starting to lose his hair, has a full head.  Me, on the other hand....almost no hair.  I had to laugh out loud. Who would have ever thought?

Out of all of the aspects of having cancer, hair loss is obviously one of the less distressing factors.  It's only hair; it will grow back; blah, blah, blah.  But it's also the most visible side effect and the one that I have to deal with, day in and day out.  So I thought it was a topic that was worthy of its own blog entry. 

It's been almost 4 weeks since I had my hair buzzed off.  Since then, most of my hair has slowly fallen out, but it's been gradual.  I'm left looking fairly bald (although not shiny bald, by any stretch).  It's definitely more of an annoyance than anything else.  Each day, I put on my wig and go to work.  I know it looks good, but my head aches by the end of the day.  When I go other places, I usually put on a "halo", which is like a headband of hair that I wear with a hat.  I have a curly one and a straight one, and although I had heard these are more comfortable than wigs, they actually tend to hurt my head even more, and take more planning than a wig since I try to match a hat to my outfit.  So yeah, I look cute in my fake hair but it takes a lot of effort. 

As soon as I get home from work or an outing, I immediately take off my hair and put on a soft hat.  Since it's winter in Wisconsin, I very rarely go without a hat, except for sleeping.  Owen has made it clear that he prefers me in hair or a hat, and doesn't even like the bandana I occasionally wear (although I'm finding that to be a comfy option so we might need to work on that one). Colin, on the other hand, cuddles up to me in bed and never even seems to notice my bald head.  Gotta love the unconditional sweetness of a 2-year-old (although I do wish he didn't insist on climbing into our bed every single night)!

Tonight, however, I achieved a milestone for myself.  Sick of dealing with hair, I actually went out to dinner and to a store in just a hat (no hair).  I decided that no one is really looking at me and why should I go to so much effort just to go into my local Walgreens and Mexican restaurant? I think I'll try to do more of this, although I'm pretty certain I'll still don my hair when I am dressing up for work and other occasions.  It makes me feel better and less like a "poor cancer patient".  I used to put a lot of effort into my own hair, flat ironing my naturally curly hair almost every day.  Boy, you sure don't know how much you miss something until it's gone.  So to all of my readers out there who are having a bad hair day as you are reading this: appreciate your hair and be happy you have it!!!

On another note, I have enjoyed most of my "off" week. Ed and I were on our own but we managed to hold things together. I got a lot accomplished at work, had normal evenings with the boys, and even made it to a holiday get-together with my friends.  My weekend plans were thwarted, however, when I woke up on Friday with a stomach bug. I ended up sleeping away most of the day Friday and Saturday, and had to cancel the babysitter Ed and I had lined up for our date night.  Quite unfair, in my opinion, since I don't get too many good weekends. But hopefully I'm on the mend now.  And the boys are full of holiday excitement, making lists for Santa. ornaments for our tree, and talking nonstop about Christmas.  I think my favorite quote of the week was from Owen, who asked me as I was putting him to bed one night if he could "text his Christmas list to Santa."  Pretty funny!

Chemo number four is coming up on Tuesday, and after those side effects are done, I'll celebrate my half-way point of chemo on this long, long journey.  My mom and sister arrive next week, too, which will be wonderful.

Thanks again to all of you reading this who have sent me cards, emails, and little gifts in the mail, as well as to those of you keeping my family and me in your daily thoughts.  All of this helps so much to get me through these long and sometimes difficult days.


11 comments:

Juli Russell said...

I am proud of you for wearing your hat out! You are doing so well....can't wait to spend xmas with you and the boysies :)

Rebecca said...

I'm also proud of you for going out without your wig. You're my role model, Amy! Keep hanging in there! Miss you,
Rebecca

Theresa said...

Missed you this weekend! Hope you feel better soon! Thanks for sharing about your hair drama. I can imagine that would be one of the hardest parts to go through. You are doing an amazing job handling it though! Hang in there!

Katie said...

I am so proud of you for going out with just your hat!! You all are going to have a magical Christmas, I can feel it!

Jess said...

Love this post, and love you!

Lynn said...

There is nothing wrong with just going out in a hat and I'm glad you did it!!!

Sarah said...

YOU get to do whatever YOU want to do!! The hat or scarf sound so much more comfortable and I am proud of you for wearing the hat out! Good for you!! Praying for your day tomorrow to go as well as possible.

Janice said...

After this week...you are half way thru chemo!! Yay! You are so brave and amazing...and of course you can wear just a hat when going out! You are beautiful either way..xx

Estela said...

Just letting you know we're thinking of you and wishing/hoping for a good week. You're getting there... you are so brave and strong... Lots of hugs

Dad and Amalia said...

Amy,
Today you are meeting the half-way point of your treatment.
We know that you are making great progress and we are super proud of your determinatin to live as normally as possible during this period of time. Soon it will be behind you!
We are members of team amazing Amy! Zap any remaining bad cells!

Nancy said...

Just be YOU, that hasn't changed at all. It is just like wearing jammie pants to walmart...sometimes you just gotta do it! Merry Christmas, rest up and enjoy the family time.