Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The beginning....

I wish I was starting a blog under better circumstances, but I guess life throws a few unexpected curves once in a while.  If you're reading this, you've probably heard in some way that I was diagnosed with breast cancer last night.  I've set up this blog as a way to keep my family and friends up-to-date on what I guess is going to be a very difficult time for my family and me. Although I'm a private person in some ways, I'm also the type of person who feels the need to reach out and share with those people who I care about. I know that I have a lot of support from all of you, however, so a big thank you in advance for caring enough to read this. Most of you probably know that I'm a big Facebook poster, but that's where I post fun things about my life and my boys - that didn't seem to be the appropriate place to post about this.

So here's what I know right now from a technical standpoint (and it's not a lot, believe me - I've only been aware of any of this for less than 48 hours). I felt a strange lump in my right breast about 2 weeks ago.  It wasn't anything I had noticed before and really didn't think anything of it.  I've breastfed 2 kids, and used to get lumps like this all the time.  But when it didn't go away by the following week, I called my doctor, who didn't sound overly concerned but told me to come in at some point. I went in last Thursday, and she told me she was 99% certain this was a fluid-filled cyst that was probably hormonal and would go away.  But she said I should have an ultrasound just to be sure.  So I still wasn't worried at all and didn't even tell anyone about the lump or upcoming ultrasound.  On Monday, however, when I went in for the ultrasound, I ended up also having a mammogram, a biopsy, and receiving a likely cancer diagnosis.  Last night, I received the final results back that it is breast cancer.  The technical name is invasive mammary ductal carcinoma, which is the most common kind (and also the most curable).  The average age that someone gets this is 60 (I'm 34) and the survival rate five years out is 80%.  My lump is on the large size (5 cm) and we don't know much more yet about any of the other factors (lymph node involvement, spread, etc).  I will learn more in the upcoming days, as I meet with my doctor again, the surgeon, etc.  It sounds like I will be having a mastectomy soon, followed by chemo, but I don't think anything is 100% definite until I have more tests and meet with the surgeon.

As you all know, Ed and I live in Wisconsin with our two spunky little boys, Owen and Colin (ages 5.5 and 2.5).  We have lots of friends and colleagues here but no family in the area.  Fortunately, my dad and his wife, Amalia were visiting when I received the diagnosis this week, which was very helpful.  My mom is flying in today to provide her help and support for as long as we need it (or until we burn her out!).  And I know I have tons of friends and family, both here and across the country, to provide additional support. I’m also happy that I chose a new general practice doctor to help me through this process who I have known through my mom’s group for the past couple of year and who is excellent (Jennifer Frank, for those of you who know her).  She’s already been very helpful in getting me my results as quickly as possible and answering my questions. I think that extra level of care will be helpful throughout this process.

But here’s why this all really sucks (pardon my language).  Ed and I are super-busy people trying to juggle two careers and two very smart, very active, very busy little boys. We have no family who lives in the area.  Things were just starting to go really well for us: Owen’s doing great in kindergarten, Colin is getting out of the baby phase, Ed’s career is taking off, and life was finally starting to get (slightly) easier.  I’m in the best shape of my life – ironically, I had just run 2.5 miles on my treadmill minutes before I went to my ultrasound on Monday. And the icing on the cake: I had just left my stressful job that I had to commute 25 minutes each way to and accepted a great new job at a company 4 minutes from my house.  I was scheduled to start the new job Oct. 31 so this was supposed to be my glorious 2 weeks between jobs.  Now, I don’t even have a job to be on leave from (although I guess I need to wait and see what my new company says when I talk to them over the next few days).  So this really all just stinks and doesn’t seem fair.  I don’t understand why it’s happening to me. It’s like the universe just turned on its axis this week and life has 100% changed. And it seems even more ironic that I received my diagnosis yesterday, on October 18th - the day Ed and I celebrated 16 years of being together.

Somehow we will get through this and I am hopeful that my prognosis will be good. But I guess even that’s not certain at this point.  I will try my best to keep everyone updated as I learn more over the upcoming week and months through this blog.  For me, reaching out and staying connected is critical to my mental health, and this seems like a good way to do it.  Your feedback and support is very important to me. Please keep my family in all of your thoughts and prayers and send us all of your most positive vibes. We need it right now.

Love, Amy

25 comments:

Janice said...

Amy, I'm so sorry you have to go thru any of this. You are a kind hearted person and don't deserve this. We are thinking about you and sending you lots of hugs and definitely keeping you in our prayers. Hugs and love to you. xxx

Juli said...

I am so glad that you decided to have this blog to keep everyone informed. I know I speak for all of
your friends and family members when I say that we are behind you 100%, and will be supporting you
through this difficult time. I think we all can agree on something else as well: You are the strongest,
most motivated and determined person (and role model for me!) that we know, and though this will
be a challenge, we know you will get through it with flying colors, probably setting an example for all of
us on how it's done. I love you and am here for you all the way. Oh, and I am glad you kept the name I
chose… you ARE amazing and I hope you tell yourself that every day. I love you man!!!

Norine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norine said...

Amy, So sorry you have to go through all this. We love you and are here for you! We will do whatever it takes to give you and Ed and Owen and Colin the support you need!

Love, Mom

Jennifer Edwards-Amberg said...

You're right Amy, this does suck! I'm very shocked, I mean, aren't we too young for this? I guess the answer is 'no'. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Please keep us posted. We are all here to support you. Let me know what I can do to help.

Raiya said...

Amy, Alfredo and I are here for you, Ed and the boys and our door is always open! I'll be checking in on you!I know you can do this! You are one of the strongest, most determined women I have ever encountered and I have faith that you will beat this. Lots of hugs and love to you!

Marisa (K) B. said...

Amy, I'm sending lots and lots and lots of good thoughts and vibes your way! I just sent you an e-mail saying this, but it bears repeating: Fight Like a Girl! :) Even though time and distance has sent our lives in different directions and we don't talk very often, you are a part of my life and I'm rooting for you!!

Jess said...

What an amazing, courageous thing to share your thoughts with all of us! You and everyone else is right- this is so unfair and no one deserves this, let alone someone as amazing as you and wonderful as your family. To quote a book title, this is just a "Lump in the Road" that will soon be a distant memory. You have the most incredible support that will carry you through it all. Here for you whenever...my chance to return all of those kindergarten hugs. Love you!!

Katie said...

Amy, what a great idea to use this blog to keep us all informed. I'm looking at flights to come and help you, Ed, Owen, and Colin during my spring break. We are all behind you 1000 percent, thinking of you and praying for you! You're so determined and strong - you will get through this!! We love you!

Jake Rundall said...

I was so surprised and sorry to hear the news, Amy. But you really are an incredible person and we'll be thinking of you as this unfolds. If there is anything at all that Tania and/or I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask. Much love.

Lauren said...

I am also so glad you decided to blog. I know it will be so good for you. If you ever feel alone you can log on and remind yourself that there are so many of us routing for you and here to support you. I am a proud member of team amazing amy!!!!!

Grandma and Grandpa said...

Hi Honey, We know you had an exhausting day. Hopefully each day will be a little less stressful. We are here for you and our prayers are also here. You are strong and you will get thru this challenge.

You are truly an "Amazing Amy".

Beverly said...

Amy, I am so sorry that you have to go through this, but I know that you have the strength and perseverance to fight this battle. You are like another daughter to me. Know that we are sending positive thoughts and much love your way. oxoxoxo

Hannah said...

I have subscribed you you on my google reader. . . so yes, I am following you. :) Glad you are keeping this so I can keep in the loop and know when you may need help! I'm here for ya, girl.

Kathy and Charlie F. said...

Hello Amy,

Consider us to be the extended family you need right now. The boys are comfortable with us and our kids. We can take them ANY time you need. I can jocky my work schedule to help during the day. You are a strong person and deserve the best support and care. You will get that from the docs in the Valley. We are giving you a big virtual hug right now. Faith, hope and love....We sent this and more to you and your family.

Leah said...

Thank you for sharing your news and thoughts with us. I will definitely be following your blog. Love and prayers you way.

Bethany said...

Sweet Amy, I am still shocked by your news and was quite speechless for a while (if can imagine me speechless). I can't begin to imagine all the emotions that you must be feeling right now...fear, anger, hurt, confusion... I'm sure you will discover very soon, thanks to this blog, just how much you are loved which is something you deserve right now; to feel LOVE!! Please know that my entire family is thinking of you and sending positive energy your way. As I was trying to think of something inspiring to say James Taylor's song "You've got a Friend" came to mind. So during this scary journey that lies ahead you can read these lyrics. While I can't physically be there to give you a big hug I am squeezing really hard in spirit. Love you!!

When you're down and troubled
and you need a helping hand,
and nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
and soon I will be there
to brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
and you know wherever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby
to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
all you got to do is call
and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
You've got a friend.

Estela said...

As many other people have said it, we're here for you; no matter what, no matter when or how, please - please let us know if we can do anything to help or just be there if you want to talk, rant, yell, cry or just be silent. We're your "local" buddies, and we love you! Please receive lots of hugs and prayers.

Naomi said...

How courageous you are to share your journey with others and keep us all informed. You are strong, and you and your family will get through this. No one knows why bad things happen to good people - sometimes its just a mystery. However, I do know (from experience of going through very tough times) that unconditional love is what gets us through. Big hugs from one mom to another. You are in my prayers. Naomi

Carolyn W. said...

Amy,

Thank you for keeping us informed. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Your friends and family will be here for you in every way.

Love
Carolyn

Stephanie said...

Hi Amy, this is Juli's friend Bluffs. I just wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you since I heard the news, but especially last night. I work in radio, and last night we threw our annual concert, Q102 Bosom Ball for Breast Cancer. It was an amazing night of positivity and support. We raised $25,000 for Susan G. Komen for the Cure through ticket sales and a silent auction. Everyone there was wearing pink, drinking pink cocktails and also wearing ribbons that lit up in pink--it was quite a sight. The bands provided great energy for the night and also spoke about how breast cancer affected women they knew. I'm telling you this because I want you to know that so many people are out there supporting the cause in their own way and praying for a cure. I saw it firsthand, and it was very touching and inspiring!

Molly said...

Amy,

I want you to know that the whole Russell clan is sending positive vibes your way! You are indeed an AMAZING AMY and I want you to know we've got your back 100% of the way! Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you guys.

Love, Molly, Tim, and Charlie

Grandma/Grandpa said...

Hi Honey, Another day on your roller coaster ride. Your roller coaster will take you up, down, around and back. As with any roller coaster ride you hold your breath, you ask yourself how you got on this ride, you scream, you hold your breath...and when the ride is over you say, "I did it" and you will indeed "do it".

Love you...

Taryn Davis said...

Hi Amy. I'm not sure if you remember me from the LIR program...Khalilah Shakir. Carolyn Whiteman shared your blog with me and my prayers will be with you every day. I can already feel your courage and you have my support. You're also an inspiration. As a daughter of parents whom both had cancer, I was too afraid to do breast exams. But you have inspired me, and so I say thank you.

Jacob Krueger said...

Hey Amy,

Tim and I are keeping you and Ed and the boys in our thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you're being thrust into a tough sequence of life changes in an already full and busy life. That's a lot to hold! Remember to breathe, cousin, one breath at a time.

Love,
Jake