This will be a short blog post - it was a very trying day. I had my 2pm lymph node ultrasound this afternoon and from the ultrasound, it looks like the cancer is in 2 of my nodes. Not good news, although they need lots more information to know whether the cancer has spread any further. I'm going back tomorrow for a node biopsy (there wasn't really enough time nor did I really have the stamina to do that today). Next we we went to meet with a geneticist, where I did testing to see if I have the BRACA gene mutation. Basically, this is a genetic mutation that makes a person much more likely to have breast and ovarian cancer. It occurs at a much higher rate among people of a certain type of Jewish descent (which I am) and we do have some cases of it in my family. If I have it, it might change how they treat me somewhat (they would be more likely to recommend a double mastectomy and hysterectomy) but it's also important information for the rest of my family to know, as well. I won't find out about that for several days, though. Last stop was back to our hospital in Neenah for labs, EKG, and MRI. I was VERY anxious about the MRI so I had asked my surgeon earlier today to prescribe something to help me through it (I'm not too proud to admit when I need some extra help!). So I took my Valium and went in for the procedure. It went ok - I was in a tube for 45 minutes, face down and not moving with an IV in my arm, but I think the medicine made me just kind of drift and not become too stressed or anxious which was good. It all felt very sci-fi. And fortunately, it seems that the medicine made me relax enough to get through everything but not so much that I was out of it (since I'm sitting here blogging right now!).
Not having answers and thinking the worst is very stressful right now, and is probably one of the most difficult parts of this entire process. While I'm trying my very, very best to be brave and positive....it's hard when the news just keeps getting worse and worse. I'm just praying that even if the lymph nodes turn out to be cancerous (which today's radiologist thought was likely), that it's contained to that. Hopefully we'll be able to start putting the puzzle together soon...because believe me, this is no fun. Please continue to send all the positive thoughts and messages - I need it and it REALLY helps me to know how many of you are rooting for me.
22 comments:
Man, you are being SO brave and more positive than I can ever imagine anyone could be in this situation. I am so proud of you and sending you positive thoughts every minute! We are all behind you. Love you!!!!
Amy I am sorry to hear that the lymph nodes may be involved as well. I am still praying that they are not - it's not definitive until the biopsy results, right?! I am glad the Valium helped take the edge off for you and am praying that the MRI results are positive. My thoughts continue to be with you daily and I continue to be amazed by your strength.
Amy- Sending you an e-mail. Glad the day is behind you. One step closer to getting a plan and alleviating that part of the anxiety. Best of luck tomorrow. Love you so much!
Amy...I thought of you all day today! I too am amazed at your strength and so proud of how you are handling all of this. Continue to stay positive and remember how advanced medicine has come especially in this area. Remember to reach out if there is anything I can do. Keep your chin up. Sending tons of hugs and lots and lots of prayers!!!!
Amy,
Hang in there! You are so strong!!! It sounds terrible not to have the complete picture yet and to for things I be up in the air but it is all part of a larger process. Ugh, sucks to have to wait between things but hang in there. We are all rooting for you and thinking of you as you go through the motions.
Keep up the good energy and remember that we're here for you guys! XO, Adriana
Amy, you are a fighter and you're doing all that you can. Jim and I admire your courage and your spirit. Your family and friends are all pulling for you and you are continually in our thoughts and prayers.
Hi Amy. It's Rasheedah Jones (Hinskton). Know that you are in my prayers daily. I know God is great! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Continue to be brave and know we are out here cheering for you!
Amy,
We are ALL rooting for you!! You are staying so remarkably positive through this trying experience. It sounds like you'll only have a few more days where you'll keep getting more questions - or at least some answers will start coming soon to balance out the questions. We're all praying for you and thinking of you!!!!
Amy, praying that you get more answers as the days come. Love Carolyn
Amy, I can only imagine how hard it is to process and deal with everything. You have so much courage and strength! Know we're all here for you! Sending love and prayers to you and Ed!
Love, Mom
Sending hugs your way!! Sad that the news were not the best and cannot imagine the uncertainty at this moment...You made me smile with the Valium story. You're awesome Amy; always making people smile even when conditions are not favorable. Praying for a better day tomorrow. Hugs
Amy, I know yesterday was a tough day. Stay strong and positive. Thinking of you and sending lots of love and hugs your way.
Amy - Hang in there, we're all thinking about you and really hoping for the best... can't wait to see you again soon!
Amy, sending you lots of love and prayers. You are doing such an amazing job coping and I know you will push through this with strength! Tons of hugs!
Amy - Yesterday sounds like a tough day but the important part is that you are that much closer to answers and a positive plan! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding the BRCA genetic testing. I am BRCA1+ which I found out in February. It is good information to have (either way) although definitely overwhelming. Many hugs and continued prayers.
MRIs look EVIL! They look like some sort of sci-fi torture device.
You are being such a trooper. We are sending lots of love your way.
Candice
Amy,
You have always accomplished whatever you have attempted! With your strength and courage, we know this will be true again. All of us in s. Florida think of you 24/7 and we are proud of you and the opportunity to continue our support for team Amy!
Amy,
You have such incredible strength and an amazing attitude. If you keep this up, I know you will get through it! Stay strong and know that we are all here for you!!!
Lots of love,
Amber
Amy, the Specter clan is rooting for you. I think it was very wise to take some "calmedown" for the MRI. I remember when I had my hernia surgery that I was so worked up just about being anesthetized, they gave me drugs for that as well. And now when I get on planes, I always gratefully take my "calmedown". If you have to go through this crap, you may as well have something to take the edge off. Stay strong and positive and keep going.
Amy, I am thinking of you and sending you loads of positive thoughts, take care Ewa xxx
I'm so proud of you, Amy. And I especially appreciate that you're so good about asking for help when you know you'll need it (like the valium). You are so smart and savvy to ask for what you need and to keep your friends close now. I'm sorry to hear that there's involvement with the lymph nodes but I'm hopeful that the next information you learn help you define your next steps.
That stinks about the lymph nodes. I'm sending a triple dose of good vibes for it to become a non-issue!! Thank you also for continuing to blog and keeping us up to date =)
Post a Comment