- My labs all came back fine. No liver problems, blood count problems, or anything else that would give any indication that the cancer has spread beyond the breast and possibly 2 nodes. Phew!!
- The MRI showed no sign of cancer in my other breast whatsoever.
- I am HER2 positive. Basically, HER2 is a specific type of receptor on the cancer cells and it is the area of breast cancer research where they have made the most advances in treatment options over the past several years. HER2 positive status can be treated with a drug called herceptin, which, when combined with chemo, dramatically decreases reoccurance rates and increases survival rates. Cancers that are HER2 positive generally grow in a faster, less controlled manner which can also possibly explain what seems like a very fast onset of this tumor (to me, at least). Someone whose HER2 instruction is above 2 times the normal rate is considered HER2 positive. My cancer is more than 17 times the normal rate (yes, I guess I tend to do things in extremes when I do them!). But that also means that I am probably that much more likely to respond positively to the herceptin. So this is overall good news.
So it sounds like my next steps are what I was tentatively planning for already. I will still start my new job on Monday. I meet with the oncologist on Tuesday and will have a chemo port inserted next Friday. Chemo should begin for me during the week of Nov 7. While we don't know for sure, my surgeon thinks they might do 2 week cycles for me to get it done faster, but this will be up to the oncologist. Depending upon how the tumor responds to the drugs (and also how my genetic testing comes back), I will either have a mastectomy or a lumpectomy after I finish chemo. This can all obviously change again, but this is what the plan sounds like for now and I feel comfortable with it.
The "funny" of the day is that my mom, Ed, and I went for a drink and snacks right after my appointment to celebrate my positives. Just as our mini-pizzas and wine arrived, my doctor's office called to tell me that they managed to schedule my PET for tomorrow and that I couldn't eat any carbs from now until the scan. Oops! So I slammed my glass of wine, ate the toppings off the pizza and ordered a cheese and meat appetizer since I'm off carbs until noon tomorrow.
All in all, a much better day today than I was anticipating. It's very hard to stay positive when dealing with so many unknowns, but every small bit of good news is a victory that I am celebrating. And being one step closer to a plan helps so much.
Again, a huge thanks to all of you for all of your love and support. It has been such a huge help to me in so many ways. It's still going to be a very long, difficult year fighting this cancer, but knowing that the prognosis is hopefully positive is really helping to keep me going right now.
22 comments:
Hooray for a positive day!!!!
So glad to hear about all the positives Amy! Sending you good vibes and hugs. You are doing awesome thru this whole ordeal. And I love the story about slamming the wine! :)
Good to hear the positive news! We all can learn from your positive attitude!
Your Mom just called with the positive news! I told her I hoped the reason I didn't hear from you sooner was that you went out for a drink to celebrate! And that's what you did! Sending love and prayers to all of you!
Love, Mom
That's wonderful news, Amy. Herceptin has been one of the best additions to the breast cancer battle, and it is great that you'll be able to take advantage of it.
Love,
Bev
We join you in relief and controlled celebration for the positive news. Keep your optimistic frame of mind and try to relax tonight!
Keep up the good work!
YEAH! Sigh of Relief for everyone!!!!! So happy for you, man. Now that you have a plan, I know you'll get through it with flying colors. The Team is behind you!!!!
Yay! So relieved and happy for your good news. Yes, celebrate it all. You are well on your way to putting this behind you. Love you!!
Amy, what a cause for celebration today was! I am in complete awe of how you are handling everything. I have always known you to be a strong and very positive person.....and you continue to show that now. You have such an entourage of friends and family supporting you an Ed......and praying for you daily! We all love you very much!
By the way, the Susan G. Komen Nashville 5K is this Saturday. Guess who I am walking in honor of?! :-)
Fight like a girl, Amy!!
I am so happy and so relieved to hear the good news! Thank you for updating us. I hope you are able to get some rest and enjoy yourself this weekend. - Tania
That is one big sigh of relief. It looks like the plan is in motion, and that is a HUGE first step. Now on to taking care of yourself and tackling the process one thing at a time. We're cheering for you!
XO,
A
We are living every day right along with you. I'm so relieved to hear the positive updates today. Love, Adrienne
So happy to hear your positive news Amy! You definitely deserved a glass of wine today! Thinking of you daily.
So glad to hear your positive news Amy and we are thinking of you all!
Yeah for positive news! I also like the slamming back the glass wine story ;) ~~~~~~~~~~ <- more good vibes, of course!
Great news Amy!!! We're thinking of you every day!
I am so happy to be able to read all of this! I wish my PC worked so I could log on daily :( I will keep praying for more good news!
What a HUGE sigh of relief!! It must feel so good to finally be getting some answers instead of just more questions and discussing more unknowns. Hooray for being able to start work on Monday and meet everyone as yourself - I was hoping that would happen! I, too, loved the slamming the wine story! Keep finding those funny moments - they're example A of why you're amazing!
Celebrate the positives!!!
I am so relieved to hear all this positive news! And so glad that you can start treatment so quickly. The sooner you can start, the quicker you can kick this thing.
And so good that there are things to laugh about, like having to eat the toppings off your pizza!
You are so loved. I was just thinking to myself how appropriate that your middle name is Joy!
Great to hear the positives, including your POSTIVE ATTITUDE! That will take you a long way. YOU GO GIRL!
So relieved right along with you. Happy for all the good news.
Post a Comment