Today was definitely the best day I've had since this whole saga began on Monday. I could almost pretend life was somewhat normal. After a relaxing morning answering emails and returning phone calls, my mom and I went up to Appleton Medical Center, where I met my care coordinator (Kelly) and a counselor who runs a breast cancer support group (Sara). I was having an initial one-on-one session with Sara to see if I would be a good fit for the group. She was really great - it turns out she's a music therapist and her office was filled with bongo drums and other instruments so I immediately bonded with her over music. The next support group doesn't start until December, so I scheduled a few more one-on-one sessions because I liked her so much. It was nice to meet these two new members of "Team Amazing Amy" :)
I also met with the recruiter who I had worked with to get my new job, which went very well. After explaining my entire situation to her, she told me she had no reason to think my new company wouldn't completely support me in whatever I need to do, work-wise. She followed up with my future boss after our meeting and emailed me later that afternoon to let me know that he said the exact same thing: my new company will support me with whatever I need, and to just keep them posted as I learn more about my treatment plan. While I obviously have no idea what I will and will not be able to do at this point, it was a HUGE relief to know they are going to be so supportive and flexible.
Today wrapped up with a very loud and chaotic family dinner (which is how most meals go in my house) - complete with screaming matches from my boys and wild antics in the basement. Believe me, though, I'm treasuring each of these moments now. I'm finishing the day with a drink later tonight with my 3 closest girlfriend in town, core members of my new "team". I hope I'll have more days like this on the horizon that feel almost normal. I know tomorrow will be a tough day, though: I have my surgical consult where I will learn more about my prognosis and treatment options. But today was good and I'm going to hang onto these good days as tightly as I possibly can.
Again, thanks to all of you for all of the love, support, and kind words. It is so incredibly appreciated.
13 comments:
So happy you had such a fantastic day! How wonderful your support group leader is a music therapist! What great news about your new job! You are surrounded with love and support! We love you!
Love, Mom
Amy, I am so happy you had a good day and added even more great support members to Team Amy!
I am back supporting our campuses in Wisconsin which includes Appleton! If you are up for it during my next trip, I would love to meet up.
Amy,
Horray for a good day! I am so happy too that you liked the support group leader. Your comment about enjoying the chaos at dinner time rang true with me. You have a beautiful family and have so much to be proud of. I love you and would like to be a part of Team Amy too.
Love,
Erica
Amy...so glad to hear you had a good day and feeling positive energy. Saying extra prayers for you and thinking of you!! Good luck tomorrow. Stay strong!
Hugs,
Kathy
Amy,
God bless tomorrow. My thoughts will be with you.
Amy!
I'm following your blog like a hawk. I'm glad to hear you had a good day. I'm sending you good vibes for tomorrow.
A
Amy I'm so glad yesterday went well! Praying today goes the same! Lots of love to you!
Happy for your good day. Your positive spin on things is truly amazing. Team Amy will be a force to be reckoned with :)
I AM SO HAPPY TO BE A PART OF TEAM AMAZING AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a team player! Count me in!!!
Thinking of you & your beautiful family. Don't worry, your mom has amazing stamina... She won't be burning out any time soon. Prayers & Hugs!
Love, Denise
Amy,
I am a friend of your Mother's. Prayers are coming from Pompano Beach! Keep your chin up and continue to stay positive. It will serve you well in the days ahead.
Sue and Jeff Haynes
Hurrah for good days! =) More good vibes being sent now!!
Amy, I'm happy to be apart of your team! Those two boys of yours have wiggled into my heart as has your family. I giggled at your comment of chaos at supper. I remember those memories well as a mom of two boys. Cherish them all so you can remember them forever! Prayers heading your way.
Post a Comment