Monday, March 19, 2012

New Beginnings

Well, tomorrow’s the big day….6 hours of surgery to get any remaining dumb cancer cells out of my body forever.  I’m not going to lie….I’m incredibly anxious at the thought of tomorrow’s surgery and subsequent recovery, but I’m trying my best to stay busy and not think about it too much.  I've even titled this blog entry in honor of the start of my next phase of this journey (tomorrow is also the first day of spring which is a happy coincidence – thanks to my dear friend Janice for that reminder!).  
Everything has been going very well since my last blog post when I got my PET scan results.  I actually got a call from my radiation oncologist a few days after the PET telling me she was amazed by my results – apparently my originally 9cm tumor has shrunk to non-detectable on the PET (the PET can only pick up cancers that are 5mm+).  I’ll find out for sure what is left in my breast and lymph nodes when I get my post-surgery pathology report, but that seemed like a pretty good response to me! I did manage to come down with whatever cold/fever-type thing has been going around during the middle of last week, but my surgeon put me right on antibiotics so I felt better pretty quickly.
The state of Wisconsin even seemed to be playing its part in sending me good pre-surgery omens this past weekend – the weather was amazing and the absolute warmest it has EVER been at this time of year .  We enjoyed a fabulous weekend – I even got a little bit of a sunburn!  I went out with my girlfriends Friday night and stayed out later than I’ve been out in years (why not, right?).  On Saturday, we had a wonderful family day – we biked downtown, had a picnic in the park, ate ice cream, and watched the boys play baseball with the neighborhood kids.  Yesterday, my mom arrived, giving Ed and me the opportunity to go on a “bike date” and spend a little bit of alone time.  All in all, a perfect weekend.
So off I go to surgery tomorrow – my next step on this very unexpected journey.  Hopefully it will all go smoothly and the recovery won’t be too bad.  I’ll be in the hospital for two nights to make sure I get the rest I need – I think Ed is looking forward to a couple of nights without the kids, too! J My sister has promised to post an update on the blog as soon as I’m out of surgery  (it starts at 11 so probably won't finish until around 5) so feel free to check back if you are so inclined….and please send me all of your positive vibes tomorrow afternoon.  I’ll post an update myself as soon as I can.

21 comments:

Dad and Amalia said...

Your postivie attitude has been inspirational to us all-family and friends. We know it will again help you get through this phase and we will look back soon and say "great to be living a normal life again! Just busy with family, friends, work and of course, the boys!"
Love,
Dad and Amalia

Norine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norine said...

All our positive thoughts and prayers will be with you and Ed tomorrow! Wish we could be there to help out, but we know your Mom will take good care of you. Your incredible spirit continues to be an inspiration!

Love, Mom and Dad

Janice said...

You'll do great Amy! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending you lots and lots of positive thoughts your way. xx

Juli Russell said...

You can do it, man! And, we are all behind you every step of the way :) Love you!

Marc Specter said...

Amy, much love from the Specters as you head into surgery. It has been a trial and a joy watching you from afar on this journey. Your spirit never fails to shine through your narrative, and is a great reminder to appreciate every moment of every day. Thank you for missives from the front line of your battle, and I look forward to the ones yet to come.

Love,

Marc and family

Lauren said...

I know you will do "WICKED AWESOME" as they say in Boston. Plus you are the smartest girl with the dumbest cancer EVER!
Love you
Lauren

sibyl said...

My prayers will be with you tomorrow, Amy, for Ed and the boys, too! Take care.
Sibyl Jorgensen

Anonymous said...

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow! You'll do great! You have such a positive outlook on all of this and we send you many get well thoughts for after your surgery!
Love,
Tania and Jake

Katie said...

Goooo Amy!! I'll be sending you extra positive thoughts and prayers tomorrow and as you recover from surgery. Keep showing that dumb cancer who's the boss! You truly are amazing and an inspiration to us all!

Katlhy said...

Sending lots of positive thoughts to you!! You have such a great attitude. Remain focused on kicking this cancer in the a$$!!! You are Amazing Amy!!!

Hugs,
Kathy S.

Sarah said...

I agree that this incredible weekend was a prehealing gift....nothing but good thoughts, good spirit, good vibes, good results, good healing to follow! Thinking of you so much!

Matthew Zink said...

We will be thinking of you tomorrow Amy and checking for updates. Love and hugs to all of you!!!

Dena said...

Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Amy, I'll be thinking of you today. I'm sending you lots and lots of positive thoughts.

Linda C.

Suzy said...

Thinking about you today Amy!

doctor-mother said...

Lots of love and prayers...

Estela said...

I'm thinking of you today. My fighter friend. One more battle to win. You're more than half way there and we're very proud of you for you have taught us what a true fighter is and the beautiful spirit you have. Saying a prayer for everything to be A-OK.

BIG hug!

Lynn said...

Thinking of you today Amy!! Many positive thoughts and vibes coming your way.

Raiya said...

Amy, thinking of you and praying for you in this moment. Anxiously awaiting an update from your sister! Sending love and peace to you! I know you're doing great!

Katie Trame said...

Amy - been thinking of you today. Will be checking for updates this evening. Postiive thoughts and prayers are with you!