Friday, June 29, 2012

Moving On

I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but that's honestly a very good thing.  I've been moving on with life lately, and spending a far smaller portion of my time absorbed with things related to cancer.  I finished radiation a couple of weeks ago, which was a very happy moment.  Right after that, I started tamoxifen, the anti-cancer drug that I'll be on for years, and have fortunately had no side effects. I also had several rounds of doctor appointments over the past few weeks to discuss my "next steps", resulting in the decision that I will have an oophorectomy (ovaries out) later this year, in conjunction with my implant surgery.  By doing this, I'm being absolutely as aggressive as possible to ensure that this cancer is gone for good by cutting off all of my estrogen (which is what feeds my particular type of cancer).  But at these appointments, the theme that I've heard from all of my doctors has been pretty much the same: "you've treated your cancer in every way possible; now go ahead and live your life".  So that's what I've been doing - getting on with life.  And it's been heavenly! As part of my transition back to real life, I even cleared out all of the breast cancer books and materials that were piled in my closet and donated my hats and wigs to the hospital, which felt great.

Summer in Wisconsin is absolutely wonderful, and the boys and I have been enjoying our long, sunny evenings and weekends - biking, spending time at the pool, going to concerts downtown, hanging out with neighbors, enjoying the weekly farmer's market, and doing all of the other local things we love to do during our beautiful summer months.  I spent a weekend in Cincinnati with my mom and sister celebrating Juli's baby shower earlier this month, and we are heading on a family vacation to the east coast early tomorrow morning. Work has been going extremely well, we're in the midst of a kitchen remodel, and the boys are as busy and active as always.

So I probably won't be blogging much for a while.  I'll still keep this blog online and update if anything comes up - but I'm hoping that life will be focused on normal activities again and NOT on breast cancer.  I'm so thankful to be moving on with real life again - and while this will always be a part of my life, I'm hoping that it will continue to become a much smaller part of it as time goes on.

Having a great weekend with my mom and very pregnant sister!!!

4 comments:

dad and amalia said...

One thing will surely remain from this episode. You will still be amazing Amy!!
We are very proud of you!
Love.
Dad and Amalia

Jill said...

Please do keep blogging - even if it turns to a family blog and how you are a living proof for others in your shoes! We want to keep up with your exciting adventures!

Nancy said...

My thought was exactly the same as your Dad and Amailia, you are so amazing Amy, a person to admire in so many ways. Thanks for being you!

Sarah said...

You are doing a wonderful job of embracing life and your family! You always have a smile on your face and you are busy and active and living life! It is such a testament to your strength and how you have kicked cancer's butt! Way to go! Keep on moving forward ~ it's sure to be full of fantastic adventures ahead!