Sunday, April 29, 2012

Work in Progress

I read a book shortly after my diagnosis written by several breast cancer survivors who described feeling like a "work in progress" during this stage of the journey.  I can completely relate.  It's been a busy few weeks trying to get back to looking and feeling somewhat like I did before surgery.  I'm getting closer but I'm certainly still a work in progress.  I now have a chest that very much resembles Sophia Vergara (Modern Family), but I'm assured that it has to be this way until I receive my final implants in December (and at least I'm now done with all of my fills now).  I've also been working with a wonderful physical therapist twice a week to get my arm strength and mobility back.  I had my radiation simulation last week and should be starting my 6 weeks of daily radiation sometime later next week, and am also still receiving my Herceptin treatments every 3 weeks.  So it's been a busy few weeks of healing and appointments. But despite all of the appointments, I've also been able to manage to rest and work from home most days, as well as to enjoy several lunch dates with friends whom I don't normally get to see.

Also on a positive note, I'm finally pretty much off of all pain meds and am even back to working out on my treadmill.  My hair is really growing back, although I still wear hats most of the time when I'm out. And tomorrow I return to work full-time.  Although I'm happy to get back to normal life, it's also a bit intimidating to think about juggling everything.  Fortunately, however, Ed's semester ends in 2 weeks so he'll be able to pick up my slack, and I think my very kind company will continue to bear with me for the next couple of months.

The boys continue to keep me as busy as ever.  Owen seems to be much happier and less anxious now that my hair is growing back and I seem more like his old "mom".  Even his teacher and guidance counselor have noticed this change  He just started playing t-ball and has several boys from his class on his team, which is a lot of fun for him.  Colin is as crazy as ever - his teachers tell us how different he is from Owen at that age, which cracks Ed and me up.  But now that he's 3, he's definitely getting somewhat easier to deal with. Ed is returning from a music festival today in Texas where he's been the guest composer for the past 5 days.  My dad and Amalia have been here to help me out while he's gone (thank goodness!) but I'll be very glad to have him home.  And one final fun thing going on this week - the band that I play in is performing a piece that Ed composed many years ago (and had dedicated to me since it was about our engagement).  I'm only playing on that one piece but it's going to be so exciting to get to perform his music on our concert on Friday, particularly with all that has been going on over the past six months.

I've posted a few recent pics below - I'll post another update once I get started with radiation.

I got to be the "Mystery Reader" in Owen's class on Friday - so much fun!

A milestone - Owen lost his first top tooth this weekend!

Crazy Colin putting on his nightly shower "puppet show"

My boys reading together!


3 comments:

Katie said...

Go Amy!!! You're progressing so, so well! I hope you have a great return to work today!

Estela said...

Wishing you a really good day today that you're returning to work! Hope to see you Friday!

Matthew Zink said...

So happy for more good news!! Hope you are enjoying your time back to work! :)